CROSS OVER TO PADI OWSI, OR HOW TO JOIN PADI AND BECOMING A PADI INSTRUCTOR
Instructors from other recreational training organizations can cross over to PADI via the PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) program or certified PADI Assistant Instructor.
It is assumed that crossover candidates have experience and teaching ability, so the OWSI program does not develop teaching skill. Instead, it focuses learning on the PADI System of diver education.
Candidates will learn about PADI’s course system, approach, materials and philosophy, then work on adapting their instructional skills to conduct PADI courses. If crossover candidates like what they see, they may choose to attend a PADI IE and become a PADI Instructor. The OWSI program prepares crossover candidates to effectively function as PADI Instructors, while giving them the background they need in preparation for the IE.
Because OWSI and IDC prerequisites are the same, crossover candidates may choose to attend either program.
A crossover candidate’s attitude and perceptions may differ from those who have gone through the PADI System. They see themselves as qualified instructors and may view the staff as “peers” rather than as “teachers.” They also may have more strongly developed teaching philosophies and styles than other candidates. It’s important for all to approach the program with an open mind.
DURATION: MINIMUM 5 DAYS
- Dive Leader certification — PADI Divemaster or leadership-level certification with a recognized recreational diver training organization who is either:
- an instructor member in good standing, or
- a diver with proof of certification in diver supervision and management including proof of rescue diving certification; 60 logged dives; documented experience in night diving, deep diving and underwater navigation.
- Or PADI Assistant Instructor or instructor member in good standing (eligible to renew) with a recognized recreational diver training organization for at least 6 months.
- 18 years old
- Medical clearance attesting to dive fitness signed by a physician within the previous 12 months.
- Certified diver for six months.
- EFR Primary and Secondary Care course completion (or qualifying training) within the last 24 months.
- If not a PADI Divemaster, complete the PADI Divemaster course diver rescue skills assessment.
- Submit documentation of qualifying certifications for entry level, advanced, rescue and leadership level, as necessary.
INCLUDED IN THE PRICE
- Course Director
- Theory lessons in air-conditioned classroom
- Pool practice
- Open Water practice
- PADI Diving Insurance (Decompression Chamber only)
- Lunch (during the OWSI or IDC)
- FREE discover of Sidemount/Tec diving (1 day, after the IE)
- Free Wifi at the Atlantis Dune
- 1 T-shirt
- 5 days OWSI
- 15 days (Prep + EFRI + full IDC (AI + OWSI) + Mock IE + Free O2 Provider Inst course)
NOT INCLUDED IN THE PRICE:
- PADI FEE
- Instructor crew pack